Fear not, ladies! Women’s hormones and physiology such as size and shape determine our strength and muscular development. You’re not a professional bodybuilder. You don’t have to worry about looking like one!
To enhance your physique and create that athletic shape many women crave, you need to build your back, biceps, triceps, and delts! The benefits to this workout, is that the movements incorporate your core, giving you an ab workout at the same time!.
To start this workout, complete a warm-up that includes a few of your favourite dynamic stretches (we like these options) and 30 seconds of jumping jacks to get the blood pumping and oxygen flowing.
Let’s Get Moving
Complete the exercises in the following sequence for 20 seconds each, followed by a 10-second rest. Repeat the circuit 2 to 3 times through, adding in a 1/4-mile sprint between each round for an extra cardio burst.
1. Plank Shoulder Taps and Hold
- Start in a plank position with shoulders over wrists, pelvis tucked, and your gaze forward.
- Tap your right hand to your left shoulder, then left hand to right shoulder, all without rocking your hips.
- Keeping your hips as still as possible will force you to use your core to stabilise.
- Hold your plank for 20 seconds following each set of shoulder taps.
- To make it harder, drop to a forearm plank instead of remaining on your hands.
2. Seated Triceps Dips and Crab Kick Hold
- Start in a seated position with your hands behind you, fingers facing your butt, squeezing your shoulder blades together.
- Lift your pelvis to the sky, keeping your body in one straight line.
- Be sure to keep your knees over your ankles, shoulders over wrists, and your glutes, core and hamstrings engaged.
- Gently bend elbows and lower yourself back to a seated position, until your elbows rest on the mat.
- Putting your weight in your left arm and leg, lift your pelvis off the ground once more.
- Tap your right hand to your left foot.
- Switch to tap left hand to right toe before returning to seated position.
3. Seated Bicycle to Boat Hold
- Start in a seated position, with abs tight and both legs elevated off the ground.
- Bring right elbow to left knee, with slow, controlled momentum.
- Switch opposite elbow to opposite knee.
- Hold boat pose, keeping your abs tight and palms facing up.
- Hold for 20 seconds. (Tip: To make boat pose harder, fully extend your legs.)
4. Walking Push-Up to Side Plank
- Start in plank position with hands mat-width apart and back flat, gaze forward.
- Walk your right hand out about 4 to 6 inches.
- Do 1 push-up with your hands in this uneven position.
- Switch hands and do 1 push-up on that side.
- Move into side plank (without dropping to your knees) and hold for 20 seconds, keeping the hips elevated.
- Switch to the other side and hold for 20 seconds.
- To make the side plank harder, lift your top leg so you form a star.
- Start lying on your stomach, arms out to your sides to form a T position.
- Take a big inhale.
- Onthe exhale, lift your upper and lower body simultaneously, squeezing shoulder blades and inner thighs.
- Hold for 20 seconds.
- Gently lower to return to start.